Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Week 9

This week, I read Moebius' Heavy Metal comic. I don't have much experience or knowledge in this comic influence, and what little I know about the culture of this comes from the "Major Boobage" episode of South Park. 
It had a very good first impression on me. I thought this comic had very nice visual appeal, but in a very trippy way. It was colorful and bright, and gave a very otherworldly sensation. It was made up of various short comics by a number of different artists, but each of them seemed to take place on another world or dimension, or something, which was awesome to me. I'm really into all of the sci-fi themes, and any sort of unrealistic setting.
Many of the stories that were in the comic were easy to understand without the dialogue, which goes to show that the visual storytelling was very well done, and the illustrations were very clear and easy to read.
This comic also seemed to have a level of sophistication for an adult comic, than a typical American Underground Comic would. The Heavy Metal comic did have some provocative tones in it, like gore and sexual themes, but it seemed to be implemented purely for aesthetic reasons, where as an American comic would have done it solely for the sake of provoking people.
It was a nice change, and over, the experience was really cool.


2 comments:

  1. I myself read only Arzak and Ballad, both of which were at the beginning of Moebius' Heavy Metal and I agree that the comic was pretty trippy. Most of the events that would occur within the stories were pretty sudden, like when the repairman in Arzak is randomly kicked in the spine by a naked man -- that event took my completely by surprise, and I found it pretty hysterical. It'd be cool to hear more of why you're into sci-fi themes and unrealistic settings -- what about those do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://jinandcomics.blogspot.com/
    That is true that Heavy Metal has great visual, but storytelling was not that clear to understand deep meaning of it to me. it might be I don't really know the cultural background or any additional information under the story unlike you. I personally thought i could be better the artist draws more story so that the reader could learn about the situation and the characters. Also agreed with the this is comic for the adults. The nudity and some twisted contents are aiming for the adults. It was questionable some elements were that necessary to develop the story. But it was cool to know this magazine and the fact that people in that time actually tried to know out of the USA, which has totally different style and contents. It seemed really refreshing to people in that period too. :D

    ReplyDelete