Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Week 10

I kinda like manga. Even though I feel like I watch more anime than read manga nowadays, it's still very enjoyable. This week, I read Battle Angel, and I really enjoyed it. I really liked the universe that the story was set in, it had a dry grittiness to it, despite being set in the future...kind of like the Borderlands games.
The story follows a cyborg who was refurbished from the Scrapyard by a doctor/scientist guy, and becomes a bounty hunter warrior. The idea of cyborgs and dystopian future is cool an all, but what really attracted me to this manga was the illustration. I'm really into high action and dynamic movements, and it's conveyed so nicely in Battle Angel. Since the scenes are high action and there's a lot of movement, the panels are illustrated in a sequential way, and rightly so, because if there were less drawings in an action scene, the intensity of what ever is happening would come across as stale and boring. Having enough drawings to make a shot look more animated is vital when it comes to action.

Here's an example that I liked:


Another thing that I especially liked about this manga was the style. I'm pretty picky when it comes to manga and anime, because I only become invested in the ones that are very stylized. I really dislike the shoujo style; it looks too generic and makes my eyes hurt. If the style looks like something that I've seen before in some other anime/manga, I tend to stray away from it. Like, my top three favorite anime are One Punch Man, Kill la Kill, and Mob Psycho 100. Heck, the One Punch Man manga (not the original drawn by ONE himself, the one following the anime) was absolutely gorgeous to me. Very dynamic, high action, and a great variation of drawing style. Battle Angel gave me those same vibes when I read it, since the visual appeal is related.

No comments:

Post a Comment